Jojoba (pronounced ho-ho-bah) is an evergreen shrub that grows wild in the Sonoran and Mojave deserts of California, Arizona and Mexico. Jojoba oil is actually not an oil, but rather a wax ester, and it’s quite similar to your own skin’s natural oil (one of the reasons that jojoba is non-comedogenic).
Jojoba has so many uses, it’s a beauty staple you absolutely must have within reach.
1. Facial moisturizer. Add a few drops to your moisturizer to give your skin an extra boost of hydration. Some people even use it by itself as their only moisturizer because it’s the only thing that won’t irritate their skin. Since jojoba oil mimics your skin’s natural oils, you can actually trick your skin into thinking it’s already oily, and as a result it won’t produce as much oil!
2. Makeup remover, face & eyes. Even the most stubborn mascara will melt away. Rub the oil into the skin, then rinse and buff away with warm water and a wash cloth. Use as a cleanser/makeup remover alone, or follow up with your usual cleanser if you like more of a squeaky clean feel. PS – extra virgin olive oil also works well for removing makeup!
3. Conditioner, leave-in conditioner. Apply oil to damp hair, concentrating on the ends. Rinse out after ten minutes, or leave in. If you’re using it as a leave-in, only use a small amount of oil, just enough to coat your strands very lightly. If you suffer from a dry scalp, massage some jojoba oil into the scalp for relief.
4. Softening treatment for feet. Apply oil generously to feet, wrap in gauze, and put on your most cozy, fluffy socks. After an hour, remove socks and gauze and be amazed at how soft your feet are.
5. Massage oil. It’s perfect for sensitive skin, and especially people who are sensitive to the strong fragrances of other massage oils.